How to create a site is probably the first question that arises for every new webmaster. In the end, the framework used to build your site will determine the progress and growth of your online project. Therefore, it is important to draw up a clear plan and study each available option.
- How to create a website in 5 steps:
- Step 1: Create Your Website Idea
- Step 2: Register a Domain Name
- Step 3: Get Web Hosting
- Step 4: Choose a platform and create your website
- How to create a website with WordPress
- How to create a site with Joomla
- How to create a website with Drupal
- How to create a site using site builder
- Step 5: Plan Your Website Growth
- The last word
How to create a website in 5 steps:
- Come up with a website idea
- Register a domain name
- Buy hosting
- Pick up CMS
- Develop a growth strategy for the site
In this guide, we will look at how to create a website using:
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Ecommerce Scripts
- Site builder
Each path is unique and carries many pros and cons. That is why we will try to highlight the most important aspects of creating websites in order to simplify the decision-making process.
Here are our 5 simple steps that cover everything you need to know about how to create a website:
Step 1: Create Your Website Idea
First things first, before you create a website you must decide what your website will be about. There are many ideas for websites . And with proper execution, they can earn solid money on the Internet .
Begin by defining the main purpose and functionality that you would like to receive. Some of the most popular types of sites include:
- Ecommerce Sites. Online stores are one of the most visited types of sites at present. The popularity of dropshipping is growing rapidly, everyone has the opportunity to start a business online . You can sell both digital and physical goods to a huge audience from around the world (which would not be so simple in a real store).
- Blogs . Many successful webmasters began their journey with a simple search query: how to create a blog . Covering a wide range of topics, blogging can be both a business (for example, an affiliate program, reviews, niche blogs), and leisure- oriented activities (travel, food, music, books).
- Educational sites. Well versed in a particular skill? Why not create your own digital courses or private website. If you are a big fan of a particular hobby or skill, creating an educational site can help you establish yourself as an expert in your niche.
- News sites. In this era of online chaos, launching a news site is easier than ever before. People search for information every day through various sources. If you enjoy submitting innovative stories, building a website will greatly simplify the transmission of your message.
- Online communities. A huge number of thriving online communities (English) clearly shows that the most important thing is the beginning. Since creating a large audience takes a lot of time, the sooner you start, the better.
- Portfolio. Displaying your skills and strengths can significantly improve your online presence. In addition, an online portfolio can give you an edge in job interviews, contests, and business deals.
If you have a clear goal, choosing the right hosting platform and creating a website will be much easier.
Step 2: Register a Domain Name
Before you create a site, you need to come up with a catchy name.
To get the domain name for your site, you need:
- Brainstorm potential website name ideas.
- Find and verify the domain .
- Run a search by domain name.
- Choose the best option (s).
- Complete your order and register a domain.
Finding the right name can be quite difficult. Here are some helpful tips to help you:
- Go to .com. As the most popular TLD, the .com domain will be easier to remember for your visitors.
- Check out close alternatives. Registering typos and similar versions of your domain name ensures that all traffic gets to your site.
- Try to make it short. The simpler and clearer the name of your site, the better. Domain names that are too long can be difficult to remember.
- Avoid hyphens and numbers. Do this only if it is really necessary, as they can increase the likelihood of your address being entered incorrectly.
For more information, check out our complete guide on how to buy a domain name .
Step 3: Get Web Hosting
The next step on the way to creating your site will be choosing the right host. Although there are various types of web hosting , one of them that you need depends on the size of your online project.
Here at Hostinger, we offer 3 unique alternatives that cater to sites of all shapes and sizes. Let’s take a quick look at which one is right for you.
The main idea of shared hosting is storing several sites on one physical server.
Shared hosting is best for small to medium sized websites. This is the type of server that hosts multiple users. Think of it as public transport such as a bus or train.
All sites use the same resource pool from one physical server. This unique installation is more affordable, but also has more stringent restrictions. Mainly, this is to ensure that every passenger has a smooth ride and ensure that one user does not use too much energy.
What do you get?
Shared hosting offers many tools to help you build a site, such as:
- Installer in 1 click. Easy customization of the most popular tools, such as e-commerce scripts, content management systems, blog platforms, forum software and much more!
- Access manager When working on a project with several people, sharing personal account information can be a delicate matter. Skip the problem part and provide access to the services of your choice, without sharing any personal information!
- FTP / File Managers. Conveniently edit your files, directories, encode using file managers. Or use your favorite FTP clients like FileZilla .
- Weekly backups . Get automatic backups of files and databases in the control panel. Store up to 3 unique copies!
- Cache manager Caching allows your site to bypass many PHP requests by generating static pages. Faster sites, happier visitors, better results!
- Free domain registration. If you choose the annual Premium or Business tariff plan, we will set up a domain for the first year free of charge.
- Powerful control panel. We even created our own panel that will help you manage everything with maximum efficiency. Check out this demo .
What types of sites need shared hosting?
Shared hosting is a great start to any website or online project. If you don’t expect a lot of traffic at first, this solution is the perfect place to start.
Cloud hosting is like a hybrid car: you get both power and comfort.
Using cloud computing technology, this solution provides the highest possible uptime by keeping a copy of your website on several physical servers that work together in harmony. In the event of a failure of one of the servers, the others in the cluster guarantee that everything works.
What do you get?
In addition to each shared hosting point, you will also receive:
- Dedicated IP address. The IP assigned to your server will be unique and provided exclusively to you.
- Separate resources. Compared to shared hosting, the resources you get with the cloud will be completely dedicated to you and no one else.
- Free lifetime SSL certificate. Keep your visitor data safe! As HTTPS is becoming the new Internet standard, it is important to keep up with the latest practices.
- Integration with CloudFlare. Add an additional layer of protection against DDoS, WAF, as well as monitoring tools and much more.
Which sites need cloud hosting?
Companies that rely mainly on the uptime of their site receive the highest benefits. If you expect a significant surge in traffic, cloud hosting is a great way out.
In addition, online stores, large projects, news sites with a large number of new and regular visitors will find cloud hosting the most suitable.
If you are looking for power without technical struggle, cloud hosting is definitely the right choice.
Speaking of a virtual private server , VPS is a unique web hosting alternative that provides more control and freedom. Although this requires server management skills and basic knowledge .
Virtual servers are very flexible and customizable if you have enough knowledge.
In general, VPS hosting provides maximum customization among all solutions. Everything from the operating system to the software stack (English) will be under your control thanks to root access.
What do you get?
- Dedicated IP. Each VPS receives a unique IP address that you will not share with anyone else.
- Installing the OS in 1 click. Use the right operating system from a wide selection of the best Linux distributions.
- Server snapshots. Keep your files and server settings safe with the automatic backup / restore feature.
- Separate resources. Every drop of a resource is in your hands. No other user can connect to your resources.
- The freedom to build your own environment. Root access will allow you to configure your own software solutions and manage various settings on the server side.
What types of sites need VPS hosting?
With shared / cloud hosting, servers are preconfigured, and changing certain things (for example, the software stack) will be impossible.
However, VPS provides root rights and complete freedom to create your own foundation. If you need an individual solution, then you should consider virtual servers.
Now the real work begins. The process of creating your site will largely depend on the foundation you choose. The idea that you want to implement will also play a role in the final decision.
Although overall, the best choice is:
- Content Management Systems. Best suited for blogs and sites that publish a lot of articles / content. Some famous examples include WordPress, Joomla, Drupal .
- Ecommerce Scripts. As the name implies, if you want to create an online store, this is software that will do its job. Some of them include PrestaShop, Magento, WooCommerce.
- Site builders. An easy way to make a website without coding knowledge. A drag and drop interface with many customization features is included!
- Self-encoded sites. If you can easily cope with web development, then creating a self-encoded site is also a great idea. Although it takes more time and effort, you can implement any function that is critical to your project.
How to create a website with WordPress
With the title of the most popular content management system in the world (fngl), WordPress gives its users the opportunity to create websites of any type. While many people use it for blogging, you can do anything from an online store to a review website using a wide range of customization features and plugins.
Key benefits of choosing WordPress as the platform for your site:
- Almost no coding knowledge is needed. But if you have at least a little coding skill – it will certainly come in handy!
- One of the most affordable options. WordPress offers one of the largest free plugin library and themes at no extra cost. Beautiful design and sophisticated features in just a few clicks.
- Extensive documentation and a huge community. Thanks to the huge community of developers and enthusiastic bloggers behind WordPress, you can quickly find solutions and answers with ease.
With Hostinger, installing WordPress is as easy as possible. The latest version of the script is available in our Auto Installhttps://www.hostg.xyz/aff_c?offer_id=6&aff_id=25062er tool .
Follow our three-step installation wizard and the CMS will be ready to use in a few minutes!
Be careful during this process, as you will have to create an administrator and enter several other basic settings.
Once setup is complete, go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin to find the WordPress dashboard.
To access it, enter the credentials that you specified during the installation process.
In this internal panel, you can manage everything related to your WordPress site, content and users.
Themes and Design
One of the benefits of building a WordPress site is a wide range of themes. Whatever design your idea needs, you will certainly find it.
The official WordPress theme repository alone has over 6,000 unique options! You can find them all in the Appearance> Themes section of the control panel.
If you click on the Add New button , you can view and install all the themes available in the WP Theme Repository.
You can easily find WordPress themes that look amazing in the base!
If you want to make changes, you can go to Appearance> Settings .
Conveniently edit your buttons, menus, widgets and other sections.
In general, choosing the right design from 6,000 applicants can be difficult. To narrow down your choices, take a look at our collection of the best free WordPress themes .
Contents and Pages
Essentially, WordPress allows you to upload and create three types of content:
1. Pages – the basic unit of each site. Using the section, you can create static / evergreen pages that do not require a lot of changes. For example: About us ; Contact with us ; Home ; etc.
2. Posts – a section that allows you to create dynamic pieces of content, such as articles, blog posts, guest posts. With each update, the post metadata will reflect the time of the last update of your content, which can increase the ranking in search engines.
3. Media files – such as images, video and audio files. After downloading, you can attach these resources to your posts and pages.
Plugins and Extensions
Another huge advantage of WordPress is the huge number of plugins that you can use to implement new features and capabilities. You can start with the Plugins section , where you can select Add new to install new plugins. All existing can be found in the Installed section .
Here is a list of 11 great WordPress plugins that can come in handy when building your site:
1. Yoast SEO
This plugin covers the basic search engine optimization needs of each site.
He will let you:
- Easily add meta titles and descriptions to your posts / pages;
- See how well your article covers a particular keyword ;
- View text readability information and tips;
- Get various tips on how to improve SEO .
2. All-in-One WP Migration
A reliable tool that makes WordPress site migration a walk in the park.
Using this plugin, you can:
- Generate full site backups in WordPress;
- Restore any backup created using the plugin;
- Find all backups in one section;
- Choose which content / elements should be imported or exported.
A powerful plugin that can turn your WordPress site into an online store.
WooCommerce allows you to:
- Create products and categories ;
- Add basket ;
- Set up various payment gateways ;
- Set shipping costs and VAT .
For more information, check out our complete WooCommerce Guide .
4. Really Simple SSL
HTTPS is slowly but surely becoming the new standard for all sites. For example, Google Chrome marks websites as “insecure” if they use HTTP.
Here at Hostinger, you can purchase a lifetime SSL certificate and install it with just one click. But if you want to use HTTPS with WordPress , you have to do some extra work.
The most interesting thing is that Really Simple SSL can do it for you! You can:
- Redirect all requests from HTTP to HTTPS ;
- Refresh your website and home URLs ;
- Correct unsafe or mixed warnings .
A versatile toolkit with many useful features developed by the creators of WordPress.
Use it to collect useful statistics and perform other complex tasks, such as:
- Enable integration with social networks ;
- Receive notifications in case your site is down;
- Highlight related posts in each article;
- Enhance images (e.g. lazy loading or carousel ).
6. Contact Form 7
Give visitors the opportunity to contact you with a neat contact form.
The plugin will allow you to:
- Create a custom feedback form ;
- Generate shortcode for easy insertion;
- Enable reCAPTCHA or Akismet spam filter .
An extension aimed at enhancing the security of WordPress sites .
With Wordfence, you can:
- Scan for malware and viruses ;
- Enable web application firewall ;
- Configure brute force protection ;
- Block access from specific countries or IP addresses.
8. Easy Table of Contents
Improve your navigation through pages and posts by automatically creating a table of contents section.
Although the plugin may seem simple, it has a huge range of configuration options. You can:
- Select the headers you want to include;
- Exclude the table of content generation for certain posts;
- Set the theme and color scheme;
- Add tags, hierarchies and more!
Well-optimized images can significantly speed up your site. This is also one of the easiest WP optimization tasks .
The Compress JPEG & PNG images plugin created by TinyPNG allows you to:
- Compress new images upon upload;
- Optimize existing media;
- View saved statistics;
- Change size depending on the width and height.
Depending on your project, setting up a forum might be a great idea. And there is an ideal plugin for this case.
Using the bbPress extension, you can:
- Integrate a forum board ;
- Assign roles to forum users;
- Create topics and subtopics ;
- Send emails at user registration.
If this is what you are planning to do, our WordPress forum customization guide may come in handy .
11. Beaver Builder
Sometimes you may need to add an extra touch to the page, and the default WordPress editor is not enough.
Beaver Builder provides an additional interface that allows you to design each page the way you want. Easily change the position of text fields, apply CSS / JS and much more!
However, WordPress plans to change the default editor to a new one called Gutenberg . Although not yet finalized, it will be included in the latest versions of WordPress in the near future.
Now you know how to create a website using WordPress and understand the basics.
Want to try?
How to create a site with Joomla
Joomla is another well-known CMS on the market. As the second most popular choice, Joomla has long been a competitor to WordPress . And not in vain.
As a content management system, Joomla gives you the opportunity to:
- Create any type of site. With a wide selection of modules, you can create anything from a simple blog or forum to a large-scale e-commerce store.
- Find quick solutions to problems. Joomla boasts the largest online communities. This greatly facilitates the search for solutions, corrections and answers!
- Implement new features without knowing how to code. The simplicity of Joomla ensures that even novice webmasters can create a responsive and attractive website.
The easiest way to install Joomla is through Auto Installer . Here at Hostinger, you can find it in the control panel.
Complete the basic details and create an administrator user to continue the installation.
That’s all you need to configure Joomla! The next step is to create your actual website.
To find the server side of your site on Joomla, go to yourdomain.com/admistrator .
Enter the administrative credentials created during installation to access the control panel.
And you’re done! A simple layout where you can control every aspect of your Joomla site.
Templates and Design
First things first, you will need an attractive template to attract the attention of each visitor. Joomla includes two themes by default, although they are quite minimalistic and may not give you all the necessary functions.
Although Joomla does not offer a built-in library of themes on the toolbar, many of them can be found on the Internet. Several famous places include JoomDev (English) and ASTemplates .
To install the Joomla template, you need to go to the Extension Manager section .
You can choose three unique customization methods:
- Download the package of files. Drag the compressed template file and Joomla will do the rest for you.
- Install from folder. The process involves uploading the template file to the specified location in your web hosting account.
- Install from URL. If you have a direct link to a template file, you can use this section to add it immediately.
The Joomla community has many free themes for all types of projects and enterprises.
Important! Be careful when using third-party or untrusted source templates. We recommend sticking with communities that you know and trust.
Articles and Content
Joomla CMS allows you to create 3 types of content right in the base version:
1. Content is the primary publishing unit of Joomla (such as Posts in WordPress). You can attach each message to a specific category and add tags to help organize everything.
2. Categories will allow you to group the publication of articles based on certain criteria. This will allow your visitors to be more interested, allowing them to find related content much easier.
3. Media is a section where you can upload images, videos, audio files, PDF files and other types of visual content. You can add them to separate articles later.
Extensions and Modules
Last but not least, you need to know how to add new features to your Joomla site. Fortunately, this is not so difficult.
Joomla offers a wide range of free and paid extensions (English), which you can install directly from the toolbar. You only need to install the add-on module that appears when you open the Extension Manager tab .
Turning on the installation from the web section through the administrative area of Joomla, as soon as you are finished, you will see a large library of plugins, which are grouped into certain categories.
Here is a list of the 8 best Joomla extensions that will enhance each webmaster’s workflow.
1. Akeeba Backup
A powerful Joomla tool that takes care of all your migration and backup needs. Using this extension, you can:
- Create a full backup of the site;
- Restore it on any server that supports Joomla;
- Exclude specific files / folders or database tables;
- Choose from several compression formats .
2. Breezing Forms
Depending on the type of your site, allowing visitors to contact you is a great way to find new leads and opportunities. Using the Breezing Forms plugin, you can:
- Create and paste a contact form ;
- Protect it from spam using CAPTCHA ;
- Set up a form for collecting feedback ;
- Use many predefined examples.
Once your site has gathered a loyal audience, you may want to monetize it or submit a product. With J2Store you can:
- Use the article interface to add products and product types ;
- Set up various payment gateways ;
- Implement a one-page checkout ;
- Set up zone taxes and multicurrency .
High-quality images will help you surprise and attract the attention of visitors. A great way to display them is to use sliders or slide shows. DJ-ImageSlider is a free extension that will help you in this task.
- It is compatible with all major browsers ;
- You will get a drag and drop interface ;
- Many customization options ;
- It is implemented in any section of your site.
5. JCH Optimize
Having a fast site can make a big difference. In addition to more happy visitors, a faster site can increase your search engine rankings. The extension will increase productivity by:
- Combining CSS / JS files into one;
- Application of minification and gzip ;
- Adding background images to one sprite.
An extension that will allow you to squeeze the highest SEO potential from your Joomla website. Some of the main features include:
- Meta title / description management ;
- Integration of Google Analytics and Tag Manager ;
- Automatically redirect pages with 404 errors to the closest alternative;
- Custom error pages (e.g. 404; 500).
Since Joomla is a content management system, many people use it for blogging. If the default features are not enough, this extension will contain most of the missing parts. Set up EasyBlog for Joomla and get:
- New and improved article interface ;
- Support for Google AMP and Facebook Instant Article ;
- A migration tool to facilitate migration from other platforms (e.g. WordPress);
- Integration with social networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest).
EasyBlog does not offer a free version and is only available for a fee .
Social media platforms are some of the most visited places on the Internet. And your site can use them to significantly improve the user experience. With the JFBConnect extension, you can:
- Set up user accounts using data from their social networks;
- Enable one-click login using the largest social networks;
- Implement commenting / likes / shares via Facebook / G + / Twitter;
- Schedule an automatic article exchange .
The extension does not have a free version and provides only paid options .
Now you know the basics of how to create a site with Joomla.
Want to get started right now?
How to create a website with Drupal
Drupal is another major player in the world of content management systems. Although a little different.
While WordPress and Joomla boast that you don’t need coding knowledge to build a website, Drupal does the opposite. Today it is one of the most powerful and secure CMS in the hands of developers.
A few notable pluses for choosing Drupal include:
- High flexibility and scalability. An ideal platform for small and large projects. If your strength is web development, Drupal will give you the ability to create any type of website.
- A huge variety of free modules. Whatever functions your site needs, you are sure to find them in the library of 40,000+ free modules and extensions. Less time, more results!
- The focus is on content creation and publishing. Since Drupal is a CMS, managing your publications will be a walk in the park. Find everything you need in one panel.
With Hostinger, you can begin your Drupal development journey in no time. Install it in just 1 click using our Auto Installer !
Fill out the basic installation information along with information about your administrator and you are ready to go.
To access the Drupal internal toolbar, go to yourdomain.com/user/login.
In this panel, you can monitor and manage all aspects of your Drupal website.
Appearance and Design
First of all, your site needs to look good. With Drupal, you don’t have to search. The official theme repository offers over 2500 unique options!
You can search for templates based on your version of Drupal, theme status, stability, and many other filters.
If you want to rummage around a bit, you will definitely find a great option for your Drupal site.
To install the Drupal theme, you need to:
- Go to the Appearance section in the top navigation menu.
- Click the install new theme button .
- Paste the theme URL or select an archive on the local computer.
- Click Install and complete the setup of the Drupal theme.
Content and Pages
Adding posts, writing articles, creating landing pages – with Drupal you can relatively easily perform all these tasks. All action takes place in the Content section .
With basic equipment, you can create:
- Content to which you can add articles (time-sensitive publications) or main pages (for example, About Us ).
- Comments , this is a section where you can moderate messages posted by your visitors.
- The Files section is a place where you can find all your images and other media files that you upload when creating content.
In general, Drupal has a rather impressive set of functions, which is one of the reasons for its high efficiency among other content management systems .
Modules and Functionality
Last but not least, let’s talk about Drupal modules and adding new features to your site.
If you go to the Extend section from the top menu, you can set many interesting features.
Each fresh Drupal installation includes several core modules. In addition, you can find over 40,000+ Drupal modules in the official repository .
To implement the Drupal module, you need:
- Click the Install New Module button .
- Paste the module URL or select the archive from the local computer.
- Click Install and complete the configuration of the Drupal module.
Now you have learned how to create a website using Drupal CMS.
How to create a site using site builder
Website builder is a quick and easy way to develop and publish a site when you are not a developer. Everything from themes to SEO and cart functionality can be controlled with a single panel. It also has a drag and drop function that allows you to create everything the way you want.
No additional settings are required to create the site. All you have to do is access the Site Builder tool in the control panel.
Make sure all other scripts have been copied / deleted before use. If you publish your site using the site builder, it may override some of the existing files.
Layout and Design
The first step is to choose an image. You can choose from over 200 free templates or import ANY type of website using the built-in migration tool.
Depending on what you want to build, there are categories for each type of site. From simple landing pages to hotels and online stores .
Once you find the perfect theme, you will be taken to the site builder interface.
Tools and Development Process
Now the real fun begins. At the top of the screen you will see a menu with all the tools at your disposal. Let’s see what functions of creating websites on the table.
First, you will see some basic functions, such as:
- Publish , save and backup tool ;
- Site preview function ;
- Buttons Cancel / Redo ;
- Reset current project;
- Device-based responsiveness adjustment
Then you will find several advanced features that will help you develop and structure your site, such as:
- Basket functionality
- Various payment gateways
- Social Media Integration
- Google Maps or Bing Location Service
- Upload videos via YouTube
- Tools for creating buttons , blocks and menus .
The last, but no less important, section in the upper right corner. Using it, you can control even more technical aspects, such as:
- Creating pages and navigation
- Language setting
- SEO factors (such as meta headlines, descriptions, keywords, permalinks, HTTPS boost)
- Corporate Identity (favicon, background, style)
If you are doing a small or medium project, this option is definitely worth a try. Plus, there are many great website builders on the market . And most importantly, everyone can use them!
Now you can use our site builder to create a basic site.
Want to create a site today?
Step 5: Plan Your Website Growth
Now you know the different types of web hosting and the best tools for creating a site. But the journey does not end here. In fact, this is only the beginning!
Here are eight tips to help you turn your project into a better website :
Take your niche
Perhaps one of the most important things you should do is choose the niche and the direction in which your site will develop. Without proper planning, things can stop working very quickly.
A good place to start is:
- Know your passion. You will always get better results if you like what you do. Plus, your chances of success will increase. For example, if you’re a big fan of reading, creating a book blog might be an ideal start.
- Market valuation. Viewing what people are looking for can give you a rough idea of what content / product you need to develop. Use tools like Google Trends , KWFinder , and Answer The Public to browse the most important search terms and questions in your niche.
- Check out the big players. Competitors can be a great source of inspiration, especially strong ones. You can get fresh ideas and take a look at how your site may look after expansion. Moreover, many of them offer affiliate programs where you can earn money by attracting new users to your platform.
- Brainstorm unique ideas. Finally, open a simple document and write down all your ideas, no matter how strange or impossible it is to implement them. Creating the perfect plan will take a lot of time and dedication, so every little step matters!
In general, you will achieve the best result if you create a website by topic or niche that interests you very much. This will give you the opportunity to produce first-class content and ensures that you will always be delighted.
Launch Google Analytics
It can be difficult to make important decisions without the data to back them up. This is why collecting statistics is crucial if you want to succeed. One of the best tools to work is Google Analytics (GA).
You will receive useful information about your audience, for example, how users found your site, whether they made a purchase, how long they stayed on a particular page and much more!
Report Example Generated Using Google Analytics
If you have never used GA, do not worry. Google offers detailed documentation and training courses to help you choose the right path. You can start with such as:
- Google Analytics Introductory Course
- Google Analytics Advanced Course
These resources will provide you with all the tips and tricks you need.
Monitor resource usage
Ensuring the well-being of your creation will help you avoid unnecessary downtime and problems. That is why it is important to check how many resources your site uses from time to time.
With Hostinger, you can view this information directly from the control panel. All you have to do is go to the Use Order section .
Check your processor, memory, input process and email usage in one place.
If more and more people begin to visit your site, and you begin to notice unusually large bursts – this may indicate that you need more energy or reduce the use of resources due to optimization.
Set up your staging environment
An important factor in the growth of the site will be to update it from time to time and add new features. To do this efficiently, you will need two main components:
- Feedback from visitors / users . In most cases, users of your site are the most important thing you should worry about. The changes you make should be aimed at improving the quality of time spent on your pages. The best way to find out is to ask, for example, by collecting customer reviews .
- Production environment for development. Testing new materials on a live website is not the best approach, as an error may appear on the screen if something goes wrong. To overcome this, you can create a local testing site using XAMPP or use the Add Site function to create an intermediate subdomain.
There is not a single website in the world that would be large without crashes and retries. The most important thing is to draw the right conclusions and move forward.
HTTPS encryption is slowly but surely becoming the new Internet standard. If your site processes confidential information (for example, passwords, personal data, payment information), then it is MANDATORY.
In addition, there are many advantages to using SSL / TLS , such as:
- Improving SEO rankings. Search engines such as Google prefer HTTPS rather than HTTP sites .
- Confidence building. Your visitors and users will know that their personal information is safe.
- Avoid the “unsafe” warning . Starting with Chrome 68 , websites using HTTP will have a “ unsafe ” warning next to the URL.
To use HTTPS, you must first configure an SSL / TLS certificate. We associate free lifetime SSL with all our annual Business hosting plans and place them on our Power Store .
Safety always comes first. Currently, you can never be safe, especially with various threats lurking on the Internet. The most common things that can affect your site:
- DoS / DDoS attacks. A type of cyber attack when a site is flooded with a huge number of requests. As a result, pages become extremely slow or do not respond.
- Spam If your site allows comments or has contact forms, people can abuse them to flood your site with unwanted information. Be sure to observe the safety measures for these sections (for example, captcha).
- Attempts Brutfors. This type of attack involves the introduction of many different password combinations (usually using special scripts) in order to guess it.
- Deployments and Vulnerabilities. One of the worst types of attacks is when malicious code or malware is “injected” due to a lack of security.
To protect your creation from all these dangers, you can set security measures, for example:
- Use captcha. A simple but very effective tool to combat spam and abuse of contact forms.
- Limit login attempts. Set 5-10 minute timeouts after several incorrect password guesses.
- Install the security plugin. If you use WordPress, you can use plugins like Wordfence or Sucuri to add an extra layer of protection (it can increase CPU usage).
- Keep updates under control. Deprecated scripts often have security flaws. Most of them are resolved with updates , so you should check them regularly.
- Install CloudFlare. Setting up CF will not only protect your site from various attacks, but also accelerate it by making it accessible faster from different geographical locations.
You can also purchase the optional CloudFlare module on Hostinger for instant setup!
Finally, it’s important that your hosting platform is secure. For example, here at Hostinger, we use customizable firewall rules and real-time monitoring tools to block search attempts, DDoS, XSS, and other online threats. This ensures that every site is always up and running.
Increase website speed
There is nothing more frustrating than a sluggish site. Page speed (eng) and load time (eng) play an important role in user experience. As a result, a faster website not only has a higher SEO ranking, but its visitors are much happier and convert more.
To see how well your site is performing, use tools like GTmetrix or PageSpeed Insights by Google.
Based on the proposal received, consider checking one of the following articles:
- WordPress Optimization
- Website Acceleration
- Image Optimization for Maximum Performance
You can also find a lot of useful tips by referring to the recommendations on site performance in Google Search.
Plan next steps
And last but not least, try to be a few steps ahead. If your website is business related, decide which pages you should include . If you plan to create an e-commerce empire, think about your product and how to attract even more users .
Try to keep all your brainstorming and ideas in one spreadsheet. This way you can see how you progressed over time. In addition, you can present everything to other people as soon as your project becomes large enough.
The last word
Congratulations! In concluding this guide, you learned various ways to create a website.
You also learned some growth tips and found out some amazing tools to help you stand out from the crowd. What are you waiting for?