How to create your own website? By yourself!May 22, 2020
There are two main ways to create a website — to do it yourself or find an artist. In both cases, you will need a certain amount of money and time, the amount of which depends on the choice of the path to achieving the goal and its complexity. Any of the approaches has its advantages and disadvantages depending on the resources and requirements of the person who wants to create a site. Let’s figure out all the nuances step by step.
1. The best services for self-creating a site
What is better to choose for self-creating a site — a designer or CMS? The answer is unequivocal: only a site builder . Why? It’s simple: since you need advice of this kind, it means that there is either no development experience or less than is necessary to solve your problem. Dancing with a tambourine around installing CMS, searching for a hosting will take a lot of time and money — you won’t get the desired result. Most likely, you need to create a single site for yourself — a small business card for a business, a platform for the provision of services, a portfolio or, possibly, a blog, a small store for several tens or hundreds of products. Designers help solve such problems in the most rational way.. That for money, that for investing time, labor and obtaining a return benefit.
Below are the TOP-3 of the best A-class site builders. All of them combine well with the inexperience of beginners, helping to achieve results without starting knowledge of HTML and programming. Each of them is functionally advanced against the background of analogs. You can safely use it, it remains only to decide which one to choose specifically.
1.1 Creating a site on uKit
uKit is the best designer for self-creating sites. First of all, the service is designed for business owners, private entrepreneurs and specialists in various fields of activity. It allows you to collect vibrant business card sites, a portfolio of works selling landing pages (one-page pages, landing pages), as well as blogs and online stores. The admin interface is modern, intuitive. No coding or complicated settings. The templates are diverse and quickly set up, have an adaptive layout (they automatically adjust to the screen of any device). For advertising (selling) its services (goods), the engine is ideally suited, while having a low cost in its niche and high efficiency.
Functionality uKit is based on the visual Drag & Drop editor and contains 400+ thematic templates. They are initially equipped with demo data, correcting which you can get a ready site in 20 minutes. Filling the pages is carried out by dragging the mouse with your mouse on any part of the widget template and content blocks for various purposes: text, gallery, slider, online calculator, live chat, callback button, social bar, etc. — you just need to enter your information.
To create an online store in uKit, just connect the widget “Store Product”. On its basis, you can make a beautiful showcase of any goods, set options (size, weight, color), set a mark-up. The basket for adding products to the site will appear automatically. In the widget settings, you can select a currency, edit the order form, set delivery and payment parameters (offline, PayPal, Yandex.Cash, Wallet One — “One cash desk” with more than 100 payment methods).
In order not to lose a single buyer, a widget is provided — AmoCRM — a system of customer and transaction accounting to control and increase sales. It will automatically get all requests from customers by E-mail, Phone, c Forms on the site, through Chats and Messengers. Perhaps this is the easiest to use store of all existing. For several dozen products — the most suitable option. Although there may be unlimited goods. However, in such cases it is better to use a store designer adapted for such a purpose.
The uCalc online calculator for calculating the cost of goods or services deserves special mention. This is a widget that, after setting up on the uCalc service, will display the selected online calculator (calculation of the required number of building materials, delivery costs, taxi calls, room cleaning, etc.). It has more than 20 ready-made calculator templates, each has a beautiful design and themes. You can create your own from scratch. A mega-convenient and useful thing for a business site (increases conversion), as well as table/price widgets: with their help, you can layout beautifully designed schedules or the cost of something using the specified settings.
The process of creating a website in uKit in 1 min. 33 sec:
The service is also a good contender for the creation of a personal blog, educational site or any institution, municipal or private. In Yukit there is the possibility of activating the site mode for visually impaired people. This will make it easy to comply with the law for such a site plan — to have a version for the visually impaired. In other systems, dancing with a tambourine is indispensable. If necessary, you can create a multilingual site.
UKit has four tariff plans:
- “Premium” ($ 4 / month or $ 48 / year) — all the features of the designer, an unlimited number of pages, hosting and visitors, attaching your domains (type site.ru), without advertising ;
- “Premium +” ($ 8 / month or $ 96 / year) — additionally provides advanced statistics and access to all premium templates;
- “Shop” ($ 9.6 / month or $ 115 / year) — opens access to the online store widget, basket and online payment acceptance. There are 14 days of free testing;
- “Pro” ($ 12 / month or $ 144 / year) — for professionals, insert their code into the site, the ability to create color palettes manually.
There is a free 14-day trial period. The GUIDE-25 promotional code will provide an additional −25% discount on any tariff, for example, Premium will cost only $ 36 / year. The promo code will work if paid for a period of 3 months or more. Additional promotions dedicated to the holidays will allow you to save money and buy premium Yukit almost for free, plus a discount on the promo code.
A premium plan is the best option for most users. The remaining three add the functionality needed to create a store and web developers who want to manually bring the site to the desired condition by injecting their code. For additional savings of 20% to 30%, we recommend taking tariffs immediately for 1–2 years in advance. Paying monthly will be more expensive. Here is a detailed comparison of tariffs.
1.2 Creating a site on Wix:
Wix is a site builder recognized by many critics and an example of how a new visual editor should be for beginners. He is good and is one of the most popular in the world. But still not perfect: not cheap compared to analogues. But this is all uncritical, even the price. If you like Wix, it will be comfortable to work with.
The pronounced advantage of Wix over competitors is its built-in templates. They are very diverse, beautiful, creative and all free. In addition, there are many. All are in thematic categories and have a preview mode. Unfortunately, changing the template to another in the process does not work: the matter is the big difference between the templates, which will not allow you to put existing content on another without breaking the structure. A clear flaw, the cost of creativity of the approach, so to speak. Therefore, you need to choose for sure the first time, therefore, “seven times look, install once” ©.
Wix allows you to make impressive business card sites, landing pages, blogs, shops. The platform will give out a cozy portfolio or a damn attractive corporate site in a couple of hours of work. The system has many interesting widgets. In addition to the standard gentleman’s set, there is an insertion of video on the background, different types of menus, various effects and more. A spectacle site on Wix is easy to do. Another thing is that an overloaded page can lag and terribly slow, which many users complain about. Beauty requires sacrifice; the balance must be maintained.
Were it not for the cost of paid tariffs, Wix would be an ideal solution for the entire audience of novice users. But, alas, for the money, many will prefer something more practical. Wix is a wow effects constructor. He is pleasant, bright, friendly, but expensive by the standards of competitors. The average of Combo tariffs will be delayed by $ 99 / year. There are 2 more more expensive ones.
Wix offers five premium plans:
- “Connect Domain” ($ 5.95 / month or $ 49 / year) — the ability to connect your domain, get premium tech support and 500 MB of disk space, but does not remove Wix ads;
- “Combo” ($ 10.95 / month or $ 99 / year) — 3 GB of space, free domain, ad removal, favicon;
- “Unlimited” ($ 15.95 / month or $ 149 / year) — increase disk space up to 10 GB, form designer, Site Booster application;
- ECommerce ($ 19.90 / month or $ 194 / year) — 20 GB of space, the ability to connect a basket. Tariff for creating a store;
- “VIP” ($ 30 / month or $ 294 / year) — all the advantages of eCommerce, plus 10 E-mail newsletters / month, and site audit by Wix experts (design, usability, seo).
If the prices do not bother you, and the upcoming task falls into the range of Wix features, you can safely use it. Get a good set of tools and enjoy working. Developers often introduce a 50% discount on any of the tariffs. Sign up for the newsletter by registering and do not miss the moment.
Still, Wix is perhaps the most striking engine with a visual editor for perception. His money, taking into account the discounts, is more than worthy. Yes, and without it, it does not lose much in attractiveness.
1.3 Website development on uCoz :
uCoz is the most powerful, universal site builder focused on creating all types of sites of any degree of complexity. It’s free — you can actually get hosting, a subdomain and the engine itself at its disposal for an unlimited period of time for free. Without paying a single tariff, you can connect your own domain (like moysait.com) and use almost all the available functionality (the exception is the store module, Pro SEO module, the ability to connect PHP scripts and https). The main feature of the free version: 400 MB of hosting space and advertising will be displayed.
The web service cannot be called simple, but you won’t refuse the logic of the control panel. The system allows you to operate with a huge set of tools, which will be enough to create a quality visited blog, forum, store or portal. There is nothing to say about business card sites or landing pages.
All the power of uCoz is hidden in a solid set of modules and the ability to edit the source code of pages (html, css, php, js). There are a lot of settings, but for most beginners, no more than a third will be useful / understandable. The rest is for growth. A set of modules can be determined independently.
Users who are looking for where to create an online store will enjoy the loudest. In this field, uCoz is omnipotent, thanks to the Online Store module (the so-called uShop). Of the necessary, there is even synchronization with accounting products of 1C. Import from CSV and YML will allow you to export goods from a file or parse from AliExpress / Yandex.Market. This will quickly fill your own and expand affiliate stores from these sites. Thanks to subagents, you can make a real supermarket in which other sellers will sell their goods, and the store owner will receive a percentage from them.
In the online store based on uCoz, you can sell any type of product: material, electronic, product file, product in the form of a service. Set discounts, promotions, margins, set options (color, size, number), use the shipping cost calculator. Many different payment and delivery methods. There are a whole bunch of different tweaks, in general, you can’t list the whole variety.
Separately, it should be noted the profitability of the system for those who need to create a website of a state institution. In addition to the fact that you can use it for free, there is another interesting nuance. There is a law under which such resources are required to have a version for the visually impaired. In uCoz, this version can be included in one click. For non-profit and general education sites, Yukoz is an ideal choice in every respect. In addition to all educational sites, ads are free of charge removed upon request in technical support.
Connecting a paid tariff can simplify your life. First of all, the disappearance of the system’s advertising banner ( advertising is displayed only on sites created on a free basis ). Premium user status will maximize the use of additional features of uCoz without restrictions. The loyalty program will allow you to get any tariff with a 50% discount during the first 48 hours when creating a new site. Plus, you can get a free domain and a premium template of your choice for free (when subscribing for a year starting from “Optimal”).
There are five service packages available on uCoz:
- “Minimum” ($ 2.99 / month or $ 28 / year) — a reduced banner , +1 GB of space, antivirus, Yandex.Feed module.
- “Basic” ($ 5.99 / month or $ 57 / year) — lack of advertising, 2 GB of space, 1 appeal to premium support, data auto-reservation once every 2 weeks.
- Optimal ($ 7.99 / month or $ 76 / year) — 10 GB of space, 2 technical support calls, a premium antivirus, a free premium template and a domain when paying for the year.
- “Shop” ($ 9.99 / month or $ 95 / year) — 10 GB of space and full functionality for the online store.
- “Maximum” ($ 15.99 / month or $ 153 / year) — 20 GB of space, live chat with technical support, auto backup every 3 days.
The uCoz web service is equally suitable for beginners, pros and web studios. A large selection of free and professional premium templates, universal functionality, a million additional functions, the convenience of the admin panel and low cost (or the complete absence thereof at the Free rate). After using it, most engines seem dull, limited. Start your journey with Yukoz and you will not need any other tools in the future. You can solve any problem without going beyond it. The engine for all occasions.
2. Order “turnkey” or do it yourself?
To order the creation of a “turnkey” website makes sense to companies, that is, legal entities . This is the case when management needs to obtain guarantees of results and are financially responsible for solving the problem. Everything is on paper, in contracts, terms. Funds were allocated, the contractor was found — a third-party specialist or a web studio. This is the right option, especially if a large-scale and expensive project is planned. If something goes wrong, it will be possible to find the ends and demand the correction of the situation or compensation for damage. It is also immediately advisable to stipulate the conditions for the administration of the site after delivery — who will do this, the amount of payment for services, which is included in the concept of further maintenance.
For private individuals and small business entrepreneurs, ordering a turnkey website is unprofitable. It is trite unreasonably expensive, troublesome, and, as a rule, a small amount of work does not correspond to investments. Few people will be able or willing to pay for the subsequent maintenance of the site. Moreover, the contractor will most likely be hired from familiar or more or less affordable freelancer services. In both cases, you should not expect high-quality technical support of the site, even for money. Such artists seek to earn on the turnover of ready-made sites, and not on their support. With a high degree of probability, you can get a project without a captain at the helm. The customer will either have to learn to manage it himself, or to observe his decline.
You need to order a turnkey website only if you or your company really has a budget for this with a margin . First of all, on the promotion, promotion and purchase of advertising in Yandex Direct or Google Adsense. Plus, you need a competent specialist who will administer the site. For money, every day.
Just getting a site on order at exorbitant prices is not an option. What then to do with it — who will serve it and how? Anyway, the owner will have to figure out the intricacies of his administration and promotion on his own. Isn’t it easier to immediately get rid of the head of trying to move on someone else’s skills and work on your own? If the project is simple (business card site, portfolio, blog, corporate site, landing page, forum), you will win, in any case.
3. Two ways to create a website: CMS + hosting or Constructor
Sites are made on CMS or in site designers . There are still “engines” built on the frameworks, but these are not at all suitable options, they will lead you into a dark forest, you should not take them into account.
What can your site be created on:
– This is a special distribution kit (program, script), the so-called “engine”, which after installation is a mixture of a graphical interface and a text editor for creating and managing sites.
To use CMS, you need hosting (the server on which the “engine” is installed and where all the site files will be stored later). Therefore, you must be a competent PC user. Confident use of a computer, an understanding of software in a broad sense is a basic necessity, which, if there is persistence, will allow a beginner to create a website in this kind of program. All the technical nuances lie on the shoulders of the user himself.
– This is an online service for creating sites that works out of the box — it is initially bundled with hosting, ready-made templates and, in fact, the “designer” himself for managing and editing the site.
Designers dictate a completely different, significantly simplified, approach to work compared to CMS. They eliminate the need to configure hosting, install CMS, create MySQL databases, work with FTP, the need to connect modules, plug-ins and do not require programming skills. The user gets a clean environment from many technical difficulties for the development of sites.
Both options have their pros and cons, depending on the point of view of the person evaluating them. We only note that CMS as a class of tools for creating sites appeared much earlier than cloud designers. The latter were the result of the evolution and adaptation of complex systems to the needs of the mass user. Over time, site builders acquired an intuitive interface and a visual editor (WYSIWYG — “What You See Is What You Get” — “what you see, you will get”). The best of them already work on the basis of AI (artificial intelligence) and surpass some CMS in capabilities.
3.1 Features of creating a site on CMS
Creating a site based on CMS requires a hosting rental — a remote server on which the site files will lie. As a rule, hosting control panels make it possible to automatically install a wide range of free CMS. Nevertheless, it is necessary to manually create a database for a new site in the phpMyAdmin section and connect it (before installing the engine, specify the username and password for the desired b / d).
TOP 3 most popular CMS:
Immediately, we note an important point: it is unlikely that it will be possible to wander among the numerous CMS, choosing the best of them by testing. The fact is that CMS, despite some similarities of interfaces and general principles in the basic points, are very noticeably different. Studying each of them needs to take time: look at the templates (quality, prices, availability), the structure of the engine and the same templates, evaluate the assortment and installation order of the modules, get acquainted with examples of ready-made sites from adherents of the selected engine. We are not talking about testing the operation of individual modules and plug-ins — this is clearly a long and troublesome task. Their set for the selected system must be mastered individually.
If the plans do not have a goal to learn how to work with the code directly, then there is no particular need to use CMS at all.
Features of creating a site in CMS:
- You will need to purchase a reliable, fast hosting and domain.
- As a rule, several basic templates come with the engine, although there are exceptions like WordPress, in which there is a built-in store for thousands of free templates. Templates can be bought from system developers, web studios or freelancers. The assortment of different systems is different, you need to google.
- Many things, especially those related to design editing, are usually done through code. In some systems, plugins are also installed directly via FTP by copying files (for example, in DLE), and not through the control panel installer (as in Joomla or WordPress).
- It is worth choosing specialized CMS for your task. This will guarantee the availability of the necessary functionality (at least basic) from the box. For example, to create online stores it is worth using only specialized systems ( 1C-Bitrix , Opencart , PrestaShop ). Avoid creating sites whose main functionality will be entirely based on plugins.
- If you decide to use free downloaded templates, be sure to check for the presence of other people’s hidden links or malicious code in them. The verification methods are different, you need to google for specific cases.
- For any CMS, after familiarizing yourself with the basic functionality, you need to find out the list of available plug-ins, their cost and features. Surely, over time, some of them will be needed, otherwise it just doesn’t happen.
- Create backups (backups) of the site before installing large plug-ins and after reaching the current large goal from a technical point of view. We highly recommend downloading and storing backups on your computer.
- Any free CMS has a community, forum, official website, or something else. When using paid systems in most cases, you can count on official tech support for the money.
There is no point in talking about the use of basic functions, since their implementation is usually more or less accessible. The CMS interfaces differ significantly, so it’s impossible to single out any general algorithms such as a sequence of actions to create pages, fill out general site settings, and so on. Let’s give an episode as an example of a feature: in Joomla, before creating a menu, you need to create and activate a menu module, otherwise nothing will work. Also, you cannot create an empty menu that will not be linked to at least one published page. This is a special case of a particular system. Such small and larger nuances are enough for any CMS. It is necessary to study each personally in order to work productively with it.
3.2 Features of creating a site in site designers
From a technical point of view, it is much easier to start using constructors. Structurally, the control panels (admin) of many designers resemble those in the CMS, there is no huge difference on average. Tools for creating pages, menus, filling content, general site settings, SEO — all this is implemented according to similar principles. The thing is different: there is no need to rent a separate hosting, configure databases, manually configure the site’s security parameters, climb into the code, search and install plugins.
TOP 3 most popular designers:
With a high degree of probability, in the presence of average statistical experience with a PC and the Network, anyone can master the control panel of any designer in a few hours or a couple of days. However, the simplicity of the technical handling of such systems does not guarantee a class result with their help. Since there is nothing to master and configure properly, there is another nuance: you need to have a good idea of the structure of the future site and be able to implement it using the selected system, as well as fill it with content of good quality.
Using the designer, you don’t have to turn from a person into a programmer and spend a lot of time and money on everything except the development of the site itself. When working with designers, 80% of the work required in the case of CMS falls out of the to-do list.
Different designers have among themselves quite a few common features in the algorithm for creating sites. Conventionally, such systems can be divided into those that come with a WYSIWYG editor (a visual editor, often has drag & drop support, works with widgets), and all the rest. By the way, the second category with its control panels is very similar to CMS, and by the principles of site administration is not much different.
Features of creating sites in designers:
- The start of work is almost always the same: registration, selecting a template, filling out general information about the site, entering the control panel.
- Hosting is always configured appropriately, protected, databases are created automatically without user intervention.
- Any designer has a set of ready-made templates, sorted by category.
- Any system has several paid tariff plans, delimited by the difference in the opportunities provided.
- Approximately one third of the services cost of tariff plans is not final. Many systems practice promotions, promo codes and other ways to reduce the cost of tariff plans up to 80%. Discounts are very real.
- In most cases, the templates come with demo content, which serves as a good example and helps to better understand how you can successfully design your site.
- Most systems will allow you to build a site without coding, even if they support the ability to edit the code of templates, modules, and more.
- There is always a built-in FAQ and technical support, but the implementation may be different: live chat, forum, knowledge base, feedback form, ticket system.
- All designers allow you to connect analytics from search engines, your domain and work with SEO-settings.
- 99% of website designers have a trial period or a free tariff plan. They are easy to test, just register.
- The capabilities of designers are constantly expanding, updating, and introducing the latest news from the web industry. Which, as a result, are presented to the user on a silver platter.
More specifically, learn about the features of individual systems better from reviews or through personal tests. We have enough materials for most popular services. At the end of the current section, we note that there are website designers for any task: creating a store, blog, forum, business card site or landing page. To choose, as in the case of CMS, there are specialized systems, they have more highly specialized capabilities.
4. FAQ — Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to create a site? In 5–10 minutes, really do?
It depends on which site we are talking about. If we are talking about a ready-made structure, say, a business card, but not filled with content (texts, tables, images), then yes — in 10 minutes using a designer with a visual editor like uKit it is quite possible to do this. When working with a portfolio, you can keep within 3 minutes. There is little sense from such a rush, however, it is possible.
For the specified time, a ready-made site layout will appear in your hands. Filling with content can take from 1 hour to a week — depending on how much and what you are going to publish. But, again, it’s real technically to create a website in 5–10 minutes. And even easy. But only in the constructor. In a CMS, notepad, or using a framework, this cannot be done in such a short time. Even raw.
2. Is it possible to create a website absolutely free?
3. Creating a site in a notebook. Is that really possible?
5. Conclusions and recommendations
For money, it is most profitable to create a site with your own hands. This is technically a bit more complicated than ordering it from the developer. But it will cost several times cheaper, and there will be a clear understanding of what and how it works, saving more on further maintenance or improvements.
Website builders such as uKit, Wix and uCoz are a universal set for all occasions, they are best sellers in the market of online designers. Each has its own unique features and capabilities. Thinking of creating a site, it makes sense to get acquainted, first of all, with them:
uKit — useful in the field of creating diverse business card sites for business or services. It has the best visual editor on the market, intuitive. It will appeal to those who need to create a high-level landing page or an attractive store without unnecessary hassle and high costs. Well suited for portfolios, promotional pages and generally everything where you need to concisely and beautifully present graphic materials for advertising anything.
Wix — will delight the extravaganza of templates and relatively great features for the platform with a visual editor. Suitable for creating a beautiful business card or stylish blog. You can also think about the store, but only about a small one and if the cost does not bother you. The price can easily be halved by waiting for the next holiday — during these periods Wix gives out good discounts to everyone.
uCoz — suitable for any task. In principle, making a business card on it is not much more difficult than in uKit or Wix. If it is not planned to be limited to one single site, then you need to immediately start with Yukoz. It will take a little more time, but a universal tool will be mastered, which will help out in any statement of requirements for future sites. Shops, blogs, forums, message boards, portals …
Each designer is accompanied by detailed instructions on how to create a site in it, in addition to the Internet there are many lessons on what and how to do. Each of the systems presented here has its own Knowledge Base (FAQ), which describes the step-by-step creation of a site from scratch. Having set a goal, in a couple of days of reading articles and watching videos on YouTube, you will gain a complete set of knowledge necessary to start working in a niche. This eliminates the difficulties of administration. And save a lot of money.